SMIFest 2023 is the festival of Asian art-house cinema, moving images, and art video that takes place in Madrid (Spain).
It is especially dedicated to emerging Asian filmmakers and artists, but with an eye always on classics and pioneers. It is an ideal platform to present the most relevant and avant-garde audiovisual works and creators from Korea, Japan, China, India, and the ASEAN countries. As well as making a dialogue with Spanish and Latin American moving image professionals.
-Best Asian Short
-Best Asian Video and Experimental Film
-Best FIRST film
1. All the films presented in the 7th edition of the SMIFest will be chosen by its Selection Committee, headed by the Festival Art Director, and advised by a series of professionals, and specialists in the world of moving images and film festivals.
2. The submitter understands that submitting a film does not guarantee entry into the festival program and that no refunds will be issued for submission fees for films not selected for the program.
3. All films submitted should own the copyright.
4. The submitted films must be produced from 1st January 2021.
5. The submitted films in the Official Section may have not been publicly screened in Madrid before their official presentation at the Festival.
6. The submitter agrees that if the film is selected for the Festival they will be able to provide a screening copy in digital formats. The producers or representatives of the invited films must send the selected copies before the start of the Festival.
7. All the films selected by the Festival will be presented in their original version with subtitles in Spanish or English.
8. Once the film is officially invited by the Festival, the producers or representatives of the selected films must confirm their participation. The Festival will recognize the signer of this confirmation as the only interlocutor to negotiate all aspects related to the participation of the film. Confirmation by the producers or representatives of the selected film means that it can not be removed from the program.
9. The invitation of each film selected by the Festival will be strictly confidential between the director and the producers or representatives of the invited film until the Festival decides to officially announce it.
10. The Festival programming and the schedule of the screenings are the exclusive competence of the Festival.
11. The documentation materials necessary for the press release and the Festival’s official website will be requested from the participants by the team of the Festival.
12. The producers or representatives of the films that have received an award commit themselves to mention it in all the publicity and press material related to the film, respecting the exact wording of the jury’s decision and using the Festival logo.
13. In case of unforeseen conflict, the Festival retains its sovereignty and reserves the power of the last decision. If there is any type of divergence in the interpretation of these rules, the text in Spanish will be applied.